Thursday, June 17, 2010

Homemade Watercolors

So in perusing one of the many blogs I follow, I came across this recipe for making your own watercolors. I thought this sounded like fun and used supplies I already had in my kitchen, so off we went!We mixed the baking soda, vinegar, corn syrup, and corn starch, and then Ladybug had fun adding food coloring to make the different colors. After that, she drew a picture...
...and then got to work painting!
She definitely had fun, but I must say that I will probably try to find a different recipe next time. Maybe we just didn't mix it well, but it separated quickly which left a gloppy mess in the bottom. Then it dried very chalky and flaked easily. Oh well...half the fun is in figuring out what works and what doesn't, right? Ultimately, Ladybug enjoyed it enough that she could have cared less about those problems and was ready to use her paints again the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment